NOTE: These links are provided for information only – Social Anxiety Bristol do not endorse or recommend in an official capacity any book, website or service listed on this page or any product or service advertised on the websites listed here. You are under no obligation to sign up for any of the products or services advertised.
Useful Phone Numbers:
- Samaritans www.samaritans.org
Phone: 116 123 (open 24 hours)
- MindLine Helpline: 0808 808 0330
Other Groups based in Bristol
- Changes Bristol www.changesbristol.org.uk
A peer support group for people with various mental health challenges. Meetings are held at various locations around Bristol.
- SISH Bristol: Self-Injury/Self-Harm Support Group www.sishbristol.org.uk/
SISH is a self-help group who those who self harm. Weekly meetings are held in Bristol.
- Triumph Over Phobia (TOP) http://www.topuk.org/
TOP provides self-help groups for people with phobias and obsessive compulsive disorder. They use graded exposure to help people overcome their challenges.
- Bristol Mind www.bristolmind.org.uk/
Bristol Mind is a mental health resource for people in Bristol and surrounding areas. It provides a wide range of advocacy services, a confidential helpline and other services in aid in recovery.
- Rethink www.rethink.org
Rethink is the largest severe mental illness charity. It offers services such as advocacy, career advice, help lines and help with housing.
- Anxiety UK
Anxiety UK works to relieve and support those living with anxiety disorders by providing information, support and understanding via an extensive range of services, including one to one therapy services.
Recommended Reading List:
- Overcoming Social Anxiety: Step By Step – Dr Thomas A. Richards (2014).
- Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness – Gillian Butler (2009).
- Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Finding Peace in a Frantic World – Mark Williams and Danny Penman (2011).
- I Have Hope: My Journey Through Social Anxiety, Depression and Self-Harm – Dave Rice (2015). A book of poetry based on the personal experiences of someone with social anxiety.
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking – Susan Cain (2013).
- The Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook – Martin M. Anthony (2008).
- Social Anxiety Inside Out: How to Rise above the Negative Chatter and Live Life with Clarity – Steve Light (2013).
- Healing The Shame That Binds You – John Bradshaw (2006).
- Making Friends with Anxiety: A Warm Supportive Little Book to Help Ease Worry and Panic – Sarah Rayner (2014).
- Feel The Fear and Do It Anyway – Susan Jeffers (2007).
- Managing Social Anxiety Workbook, 2nd Addition: A Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Approach – Debra A. Hope (2010).
Blogs, videos & Vlogs
- Overcoming Anxiety – Kyle MacDonald.
Psychotherapist based in New Zealand.
- Anxiety-Schmanxiety – Tanya Peterson & Gabe Howard.
Male and female accounts of living with, and managing anxiety.
- Social Anxiety Ireland.
A blog about one person’s experience of joining a Social Anxiety Group.
- Social Anxiety Disorder. About Health.
A blog about the symptoms treatment and self management of Social Anxiety.
- The Anxiety Network
Resources for people living with Panic Disorder, Generalised Anxiety Disorder
and Social Anxiety.
- YouTube: How To Deal With Social Anxiety | 5 Tips To Overcome Anxiety
Difference between shyness and Social Anxiety and 5 tips to overcome Anxiety.
- YouTube: Social Anxiety – How I Got Over It: Simple Pickup
A vlog about ignoring anxiety symptoms and pushing yourself to do things.
- YouTube: SAD: Social Anxiety Disorder: Life on Film: CA
A short film about how Social Anxiety feels
- YouTube: What Anxious People Actually Hear: BuzzFeedYellow
A funny vlog challenging the way anxious people think.
- YouTube: YOU DON’T HAVE SOCIAL ANXIETY: Laura Lejeune
A vlog about how people who say they have Social Anxiety are judged, not only by people without Social Anxiety but those with it too.